Some versions of the VMware Server and Workstation 5.5.X has a newer version of the tools. To install vmware tools do the following:
This can also be followed if you are doing a fresh install of the vmware tools. Also note that this procedure does not follow the Gentoo way of managing packages. So some purists dont’ like this. There is an alternate way using the emerge, I will cover that install method shortly.
This pretty much follows the standard Linux tools install procedure, except noted otherwise.
1. Select the option to install vmware tools on the WKS/GSX UI. Usually VM -> Install VMware Tools
2. Then log into the Gentoo VM as tools and mount the cd-rom drive.
#mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
3. Then untar the vmware tools so some temp location like /tmp
#tar xvzf /mnt/cdrom/*.tar.gz /tmp
4. Create a set of empty rc directories to fool the tools installer
5. Run the vmware-tools installer and go with the defaults
The above installs the vmware tools startup scripts on the rc directories. So to fix it do the following
6. Add vmware tools to startup
#rc-update add vmware-tools default
vollia ur done.
Please do add ur comments as to whats ur experience.